Blossoms
stop tomorrow from stealing all my time.
and here i am still waiting though i still
have my doubts.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, April 3

    I want to talk about alcohol. No kidding.

    Firstly, I'd like to say I quite like alcohol. There's nothing quite like a glass of wine - especially if it's Monkey Bay wine. I'll admit that I occcasionally (only occasionally) use alcohol as a mood elevator. Like, specifically for that. If I've had a really bad day and am really, seriously hurting, I drink more.

    Which isn't good.

    And I know it isn't good. I justify it by telling myself that I never get drunk. And I never do. I don't like drunken-ness. Why lose control of your facilities? Why would you want to find yourself hugging the toilet bowl? I mean really. Ew. I've seen people like that, people throwing up on the street - it's not attractive. And I have vowed never to be one of those people. I like being in control of my facilities.

    I don't see anything wrong with alcohol. Some Christians do. I know plenty of Christians who don't drink. My mum's one of those people. And I have friends who - for one reason or another - have gone without drinking for a period of time, or have just stopped drinking.

    Props to them. Seriously, good on them! It's a drinking culture over here. People get drunk and high just for the heck of it. Just because it's "cool". There's not a lot of responsible drinking out there.

    In fact, the latest ads for ALAC run the tag line: "It's not the drinking, it's how we're drinking." And it's true.

    What I don't like is when people get on their high horse about alcohol. I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day - and casually mentioned something about the weekend prior. Specifically, I said something along the lines of how I and another good friend had (combined) possibly consumed the most alcohol out of all the people we'd known at the party.

    She said she wasn't impressed. After which point I wasn't impressed.

    See, we weren't drunk. I'd had three drinks within the space of two to three hours. I wasn't drunk - full control. I talked to my other (supposedly alcoholic) friend and he agreed. He wasn't feeling the effects and he certainly wasn't acting drunk. I remember the night quite clearly, so I actually do remember both of our behaviour, and I don't think that we were in any way out of line.

    I like the ALAC tag line: It's how we drink that makes it good or bad. It's the reasons behind why we drink. And sometimes my reasons aren't quite right - I'm the first to admit that. But even with "bad" reasons, I don't get drunk. I came close once - but put me, an ex boyfriend on a bus trip with lots of free alcohol and you're bound to get a little tiddly. Especially when said ex-boyfriend is sifting on a friend of yours.

    But I digress.

    Drinking itself isn't BAD. And I hate it when people who chose not to drink get all up in arms about me drinking. Because not drinking is your choice and drinking is mine. What happened to loving Christian community???

    I have a new friend: she's 23, a single mother with two of the most gorgeous little girls in the world. In the wild days of her youth she got drunk and smoked pot and had sex.

    So what? I don't care - we're all entitled to our mistakes. (I am a little jealous because I'd like to have sex...but whatever) She's making good now. In fact she's awesome, she loves God and she's going hard for him.

    So she goes into town on occasion. So do I. So do a number of "good" Christians I know. I love dancing - and I can do so in town. (I don't like sifty guys in town...but you gotta put up with crap like that sometimes)

    Yes, we're accountable for what we do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that. I'm accountable for a LOT of what I do. But I hate the idea that floats around out there that Christians don't get to have fun. I have plenty of fun. Without alcohol mostly, but occasionally with alcohol.

    I leave you with the following as proof of Christian silliness when NOT being under the influence:

    No comments:

    Regnum: (lat.)1. kingly government, royal authority, kingship, royalty 2. In gen., dominion, sovereignty, rule, authority. // Advenio: vēnī, ventus, īre, to come to, reach, arrive at

    copyright piratepup design 2008