Blossoms
stop tomorrow from stealing all my time.
and here i am still waiting though i still
have my doubts.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, March 20

    Communal Living

    I like the idea of living in community. It's a big thing for our church, given that "community" is part of it's name. (So, it pretty much HAS to be a big thing...)

    It's a philosophy that has changed our church over time. I remember when I first rocked up to church - all scared and newbie-ish. I got introduced to people who are basically some of the people who know me best in the world now. It was just awkward, stilted conversation - I didn't speak to them again for over a year.

    Now, when new people come in we actually go over and talk to them. We invite them to small groups, we make them feel welcome. (Or at least we try to...) The atmosphere is competely different. I could say that it's all about us and because we've tried to make people feel welcome. But I don't think it is. I think it's more about an attitude change, being intentional and being inclusive not exclusive.

    Which hasn't necessarily been easy. I remember having to seriously try to persuade a dear, dear friend of mine to come with me to talk to some new people. He didn't. They left and I've never seen them again.

    Which brings me to the "well" idea - which is one we often use for youth group. Church isn't about penning people in with rules and restrictions. It's not a corral/pen/paddock, it's more of a watering hole. It draws people in because they see something they like, something they want.

    Community. Love. Respect.

    (Yes, I know I harp on alot about love...but it's important.)

    I miss living in the community. At the moment I live about 20mins away from church - and some of my closest friends. It really does kinda suck. When I lived "in the neighbourhood" (so to speak) there was always someone around the corner who you knew who went to church. If you needed something - anything - you could just go around. (Some friends of mine went through the church directory at 11pm trying to think of someone who'd have hayfever medication and still be awake - and they found someone!) You'd go to the supermarket and run into people you knew.

    There's something quite homey about that. There's something I miss about that. I miss living with my friends - we had some great times. (I'm msn-ing my ex-flatmate who's up in Hamilton studying and I miss her!!!) More than that, when I came home completely exhausted/angry/upset/frustrated - I knew that there'd be someone there for me.

    I think community is a great idea. It teaches you to relate to others and to put them before yourself. Which, really, is kinda what Jesus did.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    i like this post!! :)
    this post shld be sent to all the churches around.

    Regnum: (lat.)1. kingly government, royal authority, kingship, royalty 2. In gen., dominion, sovereignty, rule, authority. // Advenio: vēnī, ventus, īre, to come to, reach, arrive at

    copyright piratepup design 2008