Blossoms
stop tomorrow from stealing all my time.
and here i am still waiting though i still
have my doubts.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, August 28

    Culture

    So, been thinking lately about issues of culture and whatnot. This mixing cultures in relationships instead always what it's cracked up to be.

    I think I'm quite lucky. My parents are pretty hip and "with it" in terms of adapting, I guess. They absolutely love the boy. I think they would prefer to spend an evening with the boy rather than with me. And when I'm here I never, ever feel like I'm "in between" two cultures.

    But I'm a little concerned about what will happen when we head away at the end of the year. I don't know how to be "in between". Usually when I'm here, I choose one side and when I'm not here I choose the other side. Silly, right? I guess it's better than not knowing where you stand!

    It's going to be harder with my family there. Not that I don't love my family or anything, but family always complicates things. Mainly because they won't "get it". (Yes, I am putting a lot of things in quotes - I am basically like The Press on any given day) And as much as I'd like them to get it they probably won't. Because they are who they are.

    I'd like to think that one side of the family will be more understanding (so to speak) because there is already interracial mixing within it. And hopefully this will be the case. But if it's not...what then? Will it just be this incredibly awkward time? I hope not. Because that would probably be the worst month ever.

    It's not just that. I was talking to a friend of mine (also Asian, but she's been here about as long as I have) about how Asian people just seem to have these expectations of young people. Like they expect you to be well on the road to getting married by your early-mid twenties. Which may or may not be a good thing. But when it doesn't work out you attain this cultural stigma. (So to speak!) Every time I have been back there people ask me if I have a boyfriend - like that's all there is to me. This time when I go back I'm gonna say "YES and here he is." Because inevitably what follows that question (when I reply with a 'no') is "So...do you think you'd prefer to go out with a white person or an Asian person?"

    Perhaps this is my form of rebellion.

    But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't care if he was PURPLE or multicoloured or a slimy green colour. I don't think people get that.

    I guess culture is what you make of it and what you identify with. And really, is it such a bad thing that what I identify with is completely different to what you identify with?

    And on that note I'd better go to work :P

    No comments:

    Regnum: (lat.)1. kingly government, royal authority, kingship, royalty 2. In gen., dominion, sovereignty, rule, authority. // Advenio: vēnī, ventus, īre, to come to, reach, arrive at

    copyright piratepup design 2008